- 1 How long does it take to make chief in the Navy?
- 2 Is chief a high rank in the Navy?
- 3 How long does it take to make E-7 in the Navy?
- 4 How long does it take to make e-6 in the Navy?
- 5 How much do navy chiefs make?
- 6 What rank comes after Master Chief in the Navy?
- 7 What are Navy ranks in order?
- 8 Is Master Chief a girl?
- 9 Does an ensign outrank a Master Chief?
- 10 How fast do Navy officers get promoted?
- 11 How much does an E 3 make in the Navy?
- 12 How much does an e 9 make in the Navy?
- 13 Is Petty Officer a high rank?
- 14 How much does an e-6 make in the Navy?
- 15 How long does it take to make rank in the Navy?
Promotion to Master Chief Petty Officer requires 36 months as an E-8 plus exceptional performance evaluations, peer recommendations, further leadership indoctrination, and an exam common to all rates. Their promotion is approved by a special advancement board.
Prior to 1958, chief petty officer was the highest enlisted rate in both the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard.
|Master chief petty officer|
|Service branch||U.S. Navy U.S. Coast Guard|
|Rank||Enlisted rank Petty officer|
|Next higher rank||Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy|
E -6 to E – 7: Serve three years as E -6.
For advancement to E -5, member must have 12 months TIR as an E -4. For advancement to E – 6, member must have a minimum of 36 months TIR as an E -5. The TIR requirement for advancement to E – 6 can be waived for up to one year for those with demonstrated superior performance.
Starting pay for a Chief Petty Officer is $3,114.30 per month, with raises for experience resulting in a maximum base pay of $5,597.40 per month. You can use the simple calculator below to see basic and drill pay for a Chief Petty Officer, or visit our Navy pay calculator for a more detailed salary estimate.
Navy Ranks – Enlisted and Officer, from Lowest to Highest
|E-7||Chief Petty Officer||CPO|
|E-8||Senior Chief Petty Officer||SCPO|
|E-9||Master Chief Petty Officer||MCPO|
|E-9||Command Master Chief Petty Officer||CMDCM|
In the Navy, warrant officers to lieutenant commanders are junior officers.
- Ensign (ENS, O1)
- Lieutenant, Junior Grade (LTJG, O2)
- Lieutenant (LT, O3)
- Lieutenant Commander (LCDR, O4)
- Commander (CDR, O5)
- Captain (CAPT, O6)
- Rear Admiral Lower Half (RDML,O7)
- Rear Admiral Upper Half (RADM, O8)
Is Master Chief a girl?
Nope, Master Chief is not a woman. As seen at the end of Halo 4.
Does an ensign outrank a Master Chief?
Yes and no. A master chief is an E-9, the highest rank an enlisted man can hold. An Ensign is an O-1 the lowest rank a commissioned officer can hold. Thus, as a point of fact the O-1 does outrank the E-9 Master Chief Petty Officer.
DOD Promotion Requirements
|Promote to:||Time in Service||Minimum Time in Grade Required by Law|
|0-2||18 months||18 months|
|0-3||4 years||2 years|
|0-4||10 years||3 years|
|0-5||16 years||3 years|
Navy Seaman Basic Pay Table for 2021
|Years Experience||Monthly Basic Pay||Yearly Basic Pay|
|Starting Pay||$2,042.70 / mo||$24,512.40 / yr|
|Over 2 years||$2,171.10 / mo||$26,053.20 / yr|
|Over 3 years||$2,302.80 / mo||$27,633.60 / yr|
The typical US Navy E9 – Navy – Master Chief Pettty Officer salary is $103,939. E9 – Navy – Master Chief Pettty Officer salaries at US Navy can range from $77,433 – $136,919.
Is Petty Officer a high rank?
Petty Officer 1st Class (PO1/E-6) Petty Officer 1st Class is considered a high -grade Petty Officer.
A Petty Officer First Class is a noncommissioned officer in the United States Navy at DoD paygrade E-6. A Petty Officer First Class receives a monthly basic pay salary starting at $2,694 per month, with raises up to $4,172 per month once they have served for over 18 years.
E-1 to E-2 – Nine months TIR. E-2 to E-3 – Nine months TIR. No exam is required for advancement to E-2.