- 1 How do you write a discussion post?
- 2 How do you write an online discussion question?
- 3 How can students discuss online discussions?
- 4 How do I create an online discussion forum?
- 5 How do you respond to an online discussion post?
- 6 How do you introduce yourself in a discussion board?
- 7 How do you write a discussion?
- 8 How do you start a discussion question?
- 9 How do you write a discussion board question?
- 10 How do you discuss online?
- 11 What makes a quality online discussion?
- 12 How do discussion boards help students?
- 13 How do online forums work?
- 14 How do online discussion forums function?
- 15 What is an online discussion?
How do you write a discussion post?
Writing a Successful Discussion Post
- Read the discussion prompt carefully. Pay special attention to:
- Prepare adequately. Before beginning your post, make sure you have read all of the required readings with a critical eye.
- Construct a draft. Discussion post assignments often have multiple questions.
- Review and revise.
How do you write an online discussion question?
Online, you only have one shot to ask a question that catches students’ interest and compels them to speak up. The stakes are higher than you think. Great discussion questions:
- Are clear and easy to understand. Avoid acronyms and scholarly language.
- Foster a dialogue.
- Are inclusive.
- Align with the course objectives.
How can students discuss online discussions?
4 Things to Do
- 1 – Create On-line polls. Video and chat platforms, such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, GoToMeeting, Webex, come with polling features which allow students to respond to a question or task which pops-up on their screen.
- 2 – Create discussion breakout rooms.
- 3 – Use chat function.
- 4 – Use external quiz apps.
How do I create an online discussion forum?
Creating a Discussion Forum
- On the main Discussion Board page, on the Action Bar, click Create Forum.
- On the Create Forum page, type a Name. Users click this name to access the forum.
- Optionally, type instructions or a description in the Description text box.
- Under Forum Availability, select the Yes option.
- Select Forum Settings.
- Click Submit.
How do you respond to an online discussion post?
Validate the post by sharing your experience and stating how it relates to the course material or to the initial post. Agree or disagree with the post and explain why you agree or disagree. Expand on your classmate’s post to demonstrate that you understand the topic.
How do you introduce yourself in a discussion board?
Your introduction should be no shorter than 250 words in length and should give us a general idea of your interests and goals. You may want to explain your decision to come to SCC, your major, your career goals, and where you see yourself in the next five years.
How do you write a discussion?
Learn to listen
- Be an active listener and don’t let your attention drift.
- Identify the main ideas being discussed.
- Evaluate what is being said.
- Listen with an open mind and be receptive to new ideas and points of view.
- Test your understanding.
- Ask yourself questions as you listen.
How do you start a discussion question?
Below you’ll find four tips to help you write questions that accomplish these goals:
- Ask Open-Ended Questions. Strong open-ended questions guide our thoughts without expecting specific answers.
- Think about Community.
- More Questions = More Participation.
- Offer Incentive (Grade the Discussion )
How do you write a discussion board question?
Writing a Discussion Question
- Determine the Objective. Before developing a discussion question, first determine what you want students to achieve.
- Determine the Type of Question.
- Engage the Students.
- Assess the Question.
- Be Involved.
How do you discuss online?
10 Tips for Effective Online Discussions
- Convey Clear Expectations.
- Adjust to the Discussion Board.
- Clarify Your Role.
- Provide Feedback and Coaching.
- Track Participation.
- Offer Groups and Discussion Board Alternatives.
- Create Questions You Care About.
- Select Discussion Leaders.
What makes a quality online discussion?
Create a high quality discussion question that requires they use critical thinking to integrate course concepts in place of just listing out answers they can copy online. Make the Value Clear. Explain at the start of the course the reason and value of the discussions, and outline the discussion methods you will use.
How do discussion boards help students?
Discussion boards help to create a social presence in an online course along with a sense of community. Presence and community, in turn, can foster emotional connections. They also improve student learning and can create greater feelings of satisfaction with the course.
How do online forums work?
In a standard Internet forum, a user creates a post. That post can be accessed by other users at any time. Posts can contain questions, opinions, images, videos, links, and more. Users can respond to the post, which creates a dialogue other users can participate in, also called a thread.
How do online discussion forums function?
Online forums can be used for many purposes, such as helping students to review material prior to an assignment or exam, engaging students in discussion of course material before coming to class, and reflecting on material that they have read or worked with outside of class.
What is an online discussion?
Online discussions are a collaborative tool to facilitate communication and knowledge construction (Johnson, 2007). An individual can view content and contribute to an online discussion any time or place on their computer with an internet connection (Sundararajan, 2010).